Monday, February 16, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I haven't written for a couple of weeks, for which I apologize. I have been somewhat busy with life, but I am back! So, my loyal readers (all 6 of you), enjoy!

I know that many people do not enjoy winter. And here in the Midwest, Winter pretty much is miserable. It is cold, snowy, wet, dank, and just not pleasant. Yet, as Winter draws itself to a close, we are also given a new hope. Hope that spring is just around the corner and bringing warmer weather. Hope that the drab, dreary days filled with depression will so be gone. Hope that comes with the simple phrase, "pitchers and catchers have reported." Yes, it is true! BASEBALL IS BACK! And while real games are still a month and a half away, the opening of spring training camp gives us a subtle reminder that the days of Winter are declining. Spring will be returning along with the singing of birds, the cracking of bats, and the popping of gloves.

There is also one other glimmer of hope that this time of year provides. The hope that your team will win their division, and better yet the World Series. I am a lifelong Cincinnati Reds fan. And for the past 15 years we have not had much to celebrate. But, this spring (as with every spring) I am hopeful that the Reds can actually contend for a title this year. I am a realist and understand that for the Reds to win the National League or the World series, they will have to make some major improvements to their line-up. However, I do believe that they can contend for their division. Scoff, if you wish but that is the beauty of Spring. Until the games start to count in the standings, every team has an equal chance.

So to the return of baseball I say, "welcome!" You have been missed. We welcome you back with open arms and know that your return means that warmer weather is on its way. And with warmer weather comes golf, but that's another story.

Peace.

Bill

No comments: