Tuesday, February 24, 2009

As I was doing my Bible study and prayer time this morning, I came across a verse that caused me to pause and think. This is not a new occurrence, many verses cause me to reflect. But this one made me reflect to the point that I have to write my thoughts out and share them with others. I am sure I have read the verse many times in the past, but for some reason, today, the words really hit home. The verse is Mark 8:38, "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." (NIV)

There were two thoughts that jumped into my mind as I read that verse. First, that these words of Jesus are just as relevant today, as they were 2000 years ago. We live in "an adulterous and sinful generation." Anyone who would deny this fact does not understand the definition of sin. Just watch the news, or television, or go to Wal-Mart, you see the depravity of this world all around us. From our commercials to our lifestyle, our world is fallen. As Christians we are commissioned by Christ to be a light in the darkness, but our light is fading. We are allowing the world to silence our voice. Our country was founded upon the principles of Christianity, and yet Christians are seen as hypocrites, hate-mongers, and irrelevant.

Which brings me to my second thought from the passage at hand. Am I ashamed of Jesus? Jesus says that anyone who is ashamed of Him in this generation, He will be ashamed of when He returns in his Father's glory. I had to search my soul long and hard to find the answer to this question. Am I ashamed of Jesus? After some soul searching and prayer, I am happy to say that my answer is "no". There have been many times when I am ashamed of myself for choices I have made, especially in light of my relationship with Jesus. Yet, when push comes to shove, I know that I am doing my best to be a light in this dark world. It is difficult in today's society to live your faith out loud. We can't pray in schools, we can proselytize at work for fear of a lawsuit of being fired, and we don't want to be labeled a religious nut, so we stay silent. In doing so, we have lost our voice in society. Churches used to be the cornerstone of the community, have become just another event on our social calendar.

My friends and coworkers know that I am a Christian, and some of them have even come to me for council because of my faith. During my annual review last year I was reprimanded by my boss for sharing too much of my Christian beliefs during a work presentation. I will not say I am perfect, far from it. I am a sinner made whole by the precious blood of Jesus. And there have been times in the past when I should have spoken up, but held my tongue. For this I am ashamed. Yet, I am confident that my faith is evident to all. "I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes." (Romans 1:16 NIV)

So, there is an obvious question for you, dear reader, and hopefully you have already asked it.

Peace.

Bill

No comments: