Thursday, February 5, 2009

Golf is cruel game

As many of you are aware, I am an avid golfer. I love to play golf. Golf is more than just a hobby, it is a passion. If I could figure out a way to make money in the golf business, I would. But I am not good enough to play on the tour, and many other golf jobs do not allow much time for actually playing golf. So, alas, I maintain my current level of employment solely for the purpose of supporting my golf habit.

One of the cruel aspects of the game however, is that it is a rather expensive hobby. It costs to play, you have to have proper equipment, which can be expensive, and the clothing is not cheap either. This can present a problem, especially if you work for a non-profit organization, as I do. I have found ways around the cost through coupons and getting others to pay for greens fees, but it is still not cheap.

Several years ago, my wife and I came to an agreement that we would set a budget for the year as to how much I could spend on golf. When the money is gone, I am done for the year. I have ended up with a surplus the past three years, that I carry over, or blow on guitar equipment, but that is another entry. Part of the surplus in 2006 and 2007 was because I was in pain most of the time and did not play a lot of golf. The surplus last year was because Michal Beth was playing with me, so my wife upped the budget to include her golf as well.

The past couple of years, I have been hoping for a new set of clubs with which I can further enjoy my game. However, a good set of irons alone can cost upwards of $600. And, as is the agreement, golf equipment, balls, grips, shoes, and yes, clubs must also come out of the pre-determined golf budget. So, I could go out this year and get a new set of shiny, game-improvement clubs, but I wouldn't have any money left to play golf. So my new game-improvement clubs would only deteriorate my game, because you have to actually play golf to get better at golf. Thus, if I want to play I have to keep the old clubs.

The truth is, my current set of golf clubs are good clubs. They are not the latest and greatest that are available. I have had my irons for about 8 years. They were a birthday/Father's Day gift from my wife prior to the budget agreement. I have a nice set of Titleist clubs that were custom fit for me. Part of the reason I have not made a bigger push for new irons is that I like my irons and have not really found anything that hits the ball any better. Yet, they are 8 years old, and are starting to show it. The shafts are rusting on the inside, there are some dents and dings on the heads, and the faces are worn. But, they still work.

You see, the golf industry spends a lot of money on research and advertising. The main purpose of golf advertising is to try to get golfers to believe that their current equipment is inferior to the latest and greatest clubs available. Tuthfully, there are some benefits to new technology in golf equipment. However, with the advancements in golf equipment and balls over the last 20 years, the average handicap has remained the same. There is an old saying, "a good craftsman never blames his tools". But golfers love to blame their equipment for a bad round.

I will turn 40 this year in May. So maybe my wife will have pity on me and hook me up for my birthday...but not likely. So, alas, another Summer will come and go and I will be schlepping my bag full of old clubs around seeking the ever elusive birdie. Golf is a cruel game, even when you aren't playing.

Peace.

Bill

No comments: