Monday, February 2, 2009

Children's books are fun!

For as long as I can remember, my mother-in-law has been trying to get me to write a children's book. I must admit that I am not opposed to the idea. I would love to write a children's book. I have story ideas and believe that I could write a very nice children's book. My only problem is that I have no idea where to begin.

There are a myriad of celebrities out there that have published children's books, so if they can do it, why can't I? Seriously, if Madonna and Jamie Lee Curtis can publish books, there must be hope for a creative genius like me. The big difference is celebrities have their name and wallets to put behind a book. I have my mother-in-law's endorsement. Which is super when I would like another piece of pie, I am not sure it would get me very far with a company like HarperCollins.

"I would like to have you publish my book," I ask politely.
"And who are you?" Replies the man behind the big mahogany desk.
"Why, my name is William A. Hobstetter, and I have a dandy book that children the world over will love."
The executive replies, "That's nice. I have never heard of you, and don't know who you are. Why should I invest our company's money in your book?"
And I would reply with all the strength I can muster, "Because my mother-in-law said so, that's why. And if you don't she is going to come down here and go all Chuck Norris on your face."

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that is the best method of getting your book into the hands of children. If my mother-in-law could drop a roundhouse kick like Chuck Norris, I might have a better chance. But for now, if my dream of being published is to come to fruition, then I am going to have to have a better plan.

There is another reason I have not really pursued the idea of getting my book published; I don't deal well with rejection. I have known a few people that had books published or signed record deals. You hear "no" a whole lot more than you hear "yes". There are a lucky few who get published on their first try, but that is rare. I have had my fair share of rejection letters from job hunts and I take them personally. I don't know if I could handle someone who has never met me telling me that something I put my heart and soul into is not good.

Who knows, one day I may get the courage to pull out my stories and give it a go. I have a friend from college that just recently published a book and she has also encouraged me to try. But, for now my story of Grace the Bunny and Lizzy the Platypus, will stay tucked neatly away in my mind. Yet, a story about a Kung-fu fighting granny might not be bad...

Peace.

Bill

No comments: