Thursday, March 1, 2012

This is not the basketball I know

I grew up watching college basketball and playing basketball. Then, for the past few years, I lost interest, mostly because my teams were not very good. This year, Ohio State and Kentucky both have good teams, so I have become more interested and started watching again. As I have watched, it seems to me that the game has changed from a game of grace and finesse to a game of power and contact. I have also noticed that officiating across the board is terrible. Maybe the game has sped up to the point where the officials are unable to keep pace with the players and just cannot see all the fouls. Or perhaps, the college game has gone to a more NBA approach, but whatever the case, I do not like this version of basketball.

In particular it seems the better the player, the fewer foul calls he gets. The two examples I see are Anthony Davis of Kentucky and Jared Sullinger of Ohio State. These guys are constantly being hacked, bumped, pushed, and pounded in the paint, with few calls. But should they breathe in the direction of another player, they are called for a foul. I am a firm believer that if it is a foul for one player, it should be a foul for all players, no matter who they are. Sullinger has been showing some frustration on the court lately, as he should. The man is being mugged almost every trip down the court, and the refs are not protecting him.

It is not just against Kentucky and Ohio State that officiating is lax. I was watching a game between two other Big 10 teams the other night, with similar results; poor and inconsistent officiating. I could argue that in some cases, the inconsistent officiating has affected the outcome of the game. It almost cost Ohio State last night at Northwestern, when a missed foul call allowed the other team to get the ball and tie the game.

My other BIG peeve with basketball officiating is not calling a foul in the last 10 seconds of the game. I believe that if it is a foul in the first 10 seconds of the game, it should be a foul in the last 10 seconds of the game. How many times have we seen a player get hacked on a 3 point attempt or in the paint at the end of the game with no call. Why do the refs suddenly swallow their whistle when the game is on the line. If it is a foul, call it

At least the madness will be over soon. I am really just using basketball to kill time until baseball season finally begins. Go Reds!

No comments: