Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The dream that is Camargo...

I read a blog the other day written by this guy who has played 98 of the top 100 golf courses in the world. My first thought was, "Wow! I'd love to do that!" My next thought was, "Wow! I'd love to have that much money!" My third thought was, "How in the world did he get on to those courses?" Of the top 100 courses in the world, I have had the good fortune of playing exactly zero. I dream to one day play Pebble Beach, Whistling Straights, and Pinehurst No. 2. I have some golf buddies that have played those courses and I hear fabulous things. I have played a couple courses that were at one time ranked in the top 100 public courses in the US, Otter Creek and Shaker Run. I hope to soon get over to the east side of Ohio to play Longaberger, which is currently ranked #56 in the US. But my dream of crossing off that first top 100 course still lingers.

There is one small hope, however. You see, I live in the beautiful city of Cincinnati, OH. When one thinks of the top golf courses in the would, Cincinnati does not exactly jump to the forefront of one's mind. Yet, do not be fooled there are some fine golf courses in and around the greater Cincinnati area, and many of them are public. Courses such as Lassing Pointe, Legendary Run, The Vineyard, Sharon Woods, Stonelick Hills, and Shaker Run, just to name a few.

There are also some fabulous private courses in Cincinnati, and not too far away from where I work and play lies one that is also one of the top 100 courses in the world, a Seth Raynor design known as Camargo Club (currently ranked #39 by Golf Magazine; I don't know what Golf Digest's problem is!) The problem is Camargo is private. VERY private. You can't just call up and make a tee time. You have to have a member play with you. This would not be a problem if I knew any members, which I do not. I am a decent golfer, current handicap is 7, and hit the ball a long way. So, if any members of Camargo read this and need a partner for a Member/Guest tourney, or other event, just send me an email and I will get right with you. Otherwise, I will have to sit and dream of playing that beautiful course right in my back yard.

Oh well, I'm off to play Augusta National again...on the Wii.

Hit them down the middle!

No comments: