Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Letters

I must confess that I am writing this as a diversionary tactic. My wife wants me to write one of those, "let's update people on our family" Christmas card letters. I don't want to write one of those letters. I despise those letters. Please, do not misunderstand, if you write and send out an update letter every year, good for you. I do not mean to insult or offend your time-honored tradition. It is just that, we have never written on of these letters, and that is a time-honored tradition of my own that I would really like to continue. Nonetheless, the Mrs. has roared, and no matter how much I scoff, I do not believe I will get out of writing said letter. However, it is December 22 and though the Christmas cards are ready to go, the letter is not yet complete, so I have done and adequate job of procrastination.

We have received a handful of these letters this year. They are usually accompanied by a photo of the happy, clean-faced children, and in one instance, the clean-faced family pooch. A couple of the pictures included the parents as well, which is nice, because my wife and I can talk about how much older they look. I do enjoy reading these letters, and finding out what has been happening in their family over the past 12 months.

My reasoning for not wanting to write the letter is simple. I believe if people really cared about what was happening in my family, they would already know. Why should I write a letter to let people know what has been happening in my family, when they have not made an effort to find out? If these people really cared about us, there are lots of ways that we can be contacted. We have a home telephone, everyone but the 7 year old has a cell phone, we have several e-mail addresses, a Facebook page, this lovely blog, and there is still the good, old-fashioned US Postal Service delivering in sunshine and rain. Why has our society become so busy, that we have lost the art of communicating with each other on a regular basis. Are we really so relationship poor that the only communication we have with our so-called friends is a mass mailing annual letter? What ever happened to personal interaction and friendship?

I also feel these annual letters are a tad on the presumptuous side. Who am I to assume that if you have not contacted me in a year, you actually want to know what has been happening? Maybe there is a reason you have not written or called; you just don't care. By sending a letter along with a cute picture of my kids, (and they are sooo cute!) I am infringing upon your right not to know or care. It seems so self-serving. Why not include a donation request for the family vacation fund and a return envelope as well?

Again, for those readers who may enjoy sending out these letters, bless you. I will anxiously await the update. However, if you want more information about my family, give me a call sometime, I would love to chat.

What Honey? Oh, yes dear... I am almost done with that Christmas card letter...just a few more minutes...

Peace.

No comments: