Monday, December 13, 2010

i love my wife and have the t-shirt to prove it

A few months ago, I was browsing in the Family Christian store and came across a t-shirt that said simply, "i love my wife." The shirt immediately caught my attention for several reasons. 1) it was black, and I love black t-shirts, 2) it was on sale 50% off, i love a good sale, and 3) it truly stated the way I feel, I love my wife. (Note: lest I get comments, I love my wife WAY more than I love black t-shirts or a good sale.) Thus, the purchase of said shirt became imminent and I took it home. Honestly, I did not purchase this shirt to earn "brownie" points with my bride, nor did I buy it because I was in her dog house and wanted to get out. I purchased the shirt because I love my wife, and I am not afraid to let anyone know.

However, whenever I wear this shirt in public, I find that I will get the most peculiar comments, mostly from women. Things such as, "You must have been in the dog house", or, "did your wife make you wear that?" My usual tongue-in-cheek response is, "No, it was on sale." However, I think it is a sad commentary on our society today, that a man cannot wear a shirt that openly confesses his love for his spouse without others thinking there is an ulterior motive or coercion involved.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the men are portrayed as clueless, ignorant jerks on TV, in movies, and ESPECIALLY commercials. Beer commercials are the worst. There is one that has a man coming home from work and his wife or girlfriend is waiting, wearing very little, and all he cares about is the beer. Really? Are men that dumb? No, we are not. I don't know where this stereotype was born, but I blame the Simpsons.

I do love my wife and I find nothing wrong with letting others know, starting with my kids. One of our favorite sounds is when we are caught kissing by the children in the kitchen or living room, and they say, "Ewww! Gross!" Audrey has recently taken to just saying, "Hey! Kids in the room!" to which we keep on kissing. I believe it important to model romance and appropriate affection for your children. That doesn't mean we make-out in front of them, but we are not afraid to hug, snuggle, and share a small smooch once in a while.

A t-shirt does not define nor confirm my love for my wife and I do not wear it to gain her favor. I only hope that when you see me in my favorite black shirt you will smile softly and remember that not all men are clueless jerks.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I love you to honey when the "I love my husband shirt" goes on sale I will buy it too, but not if it is black.